Emmanuel Carrère (born 9 December 1957) is a French author, screenwriter and director.
He is the son of Louis Édouard Carrère, often known as Louis Carrère d’Encausse, after his wife, the historian and Académie française member, Hélène Carrère d’Encausse.
Carrère studied at the Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (better known as Sciences Po). Much of his writing, both fiction and nonfiction, centers around the primary themes of the interrogation of identity, the development of illusion and the direction of reality. Several of his books have been made into films; in 2005, he personally directed the film adaptation of his novel La Moustache. He was the president of the jury of the book Inter 2003.
He was scheduled to be part of the jury at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival in May. He has been announced as a member of the jury for the Cinéfoundation and Short Films sections of the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
– Werner Herzog. Ediling, Paris 1982, ISBN 2-85601-017-2. About the director of the same name.
– L’Amie du jaguar (The Jaguar’s Friend) (1983)
– Bravoure (Bravery, translated as Gothic Romance) (1984)
– Le Détroit de Behring. P.O.L., Paris 1986 (Engl.: The Behring Strait) (German: Kleopatras Nase. Kleine Geschichte der Uchronie.Gatza, Berlin 1993.)
– La Moustache (The Moustache) (1986), which he adapted himself into the film of the same name.
– Hors d’atteinte ? (Out of Reach?) (1988)
– Je suis vivant et vous êtes morts (I Am Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip K. Dick) (1993), a fictionalized biography of Philip K. Dick.
– La Classe de neige (Class Trip) (1995). Winner of the Prix Fémina, adapted in 1998 as the Claude Miller film of the same name.
– L’Adversaire (The Adversary) (2000), nonfictional account of the life of the murderer Jean-Claude Romand, after the author corresponded with the criminal in jail (1993), and watched his trial (1996). In 2002, L’Adversaire was adapted into the film of the same name by director Nicole Garcia. The film L’Emploi du temps is also based on that story, but is not as faithful to truth.
– Un roman russe (A Russian Novel) (2007)
– Other Lives but Mine (D’autres vies que la mienne, 2009)
– Limonov (2011), a biography of Eduard Limonov